Saturday, October 25, 2008

Origin

I already know that this blog will begin as a series of more or less lengthy rambles, become tattered and frayed with time, and then disappear altogether, just as all things organic.

It is only fair that if I require my students to keep a journal, I should keep one myself. But, it is nice to not be the student, and to not face this as a requirement.

I am sleepy from having stayed up all night for a school activity, a lock in for middle school students facilitated by upper school students who advocate and live drug and alcohol free lives.

I just learned that a dear student fell asleep on his way home this morning, and crashed his car. He was flown by helicopter to Vanderbilt, but his Volvo and good seat belt habits surely helped in that although he was tumbled about as he smashed through the telephone pole and rolled his car several times, he only received a cut on his head and scraped hand.

The ideas that I was having as I walked with my dogs in the woods this lovely fall afternoon before I received the phone call about my dear young friend seem so trivial in the weight of today's potential tragedy and the actual blessing to still have him with us.

I know that I will add them later, but right now I need to think a bit.

No comments: